#25Days25Ways: 25 Unique Ways to Give Back this Holiday Season
Tis the season when we all give thanks to the people, places, and things that give us joy. In the spirit of the season, we have put together a list of 25 easy things everyone can do to affect change in Yolo County. Without further adieu, we give you 25 Ways in 25 Days to give back this holiday season.
Here we go!
1. #GivingTuesday! After Black Friday and Cyber Monday, people across the nation are focusing on giving over receiving. Learn more about this fantastic new annual holiday tradition at givingtuesday.org. Reading this after the 1st? Not to worry, just click the Donate button at the top right of this webpage to contribute to YCCA.
2. Ready to start your holiday shopping? Start HERE at Amazon Smile, and choose Yolo County Children’s Alliance as your chosen nonprofit organization. AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop via Amazon Smile you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization.
3. It’s that Holly Jolly time of year – go to a party! Proceeds benefit YCCA. RSVP HERE
4. Did you know? We give out fresh fruit and vegetables EVERY WEEK to clients in need at our West Sacramento Family Resource Center. We can always use extra hands, especially in the colder months. Volunteer shifts are approximately 2 hours long, every Friday from 10:00am-12:00pm. Learn more by calling our office directly at (916)572-0560.
5. Give the child in your life the gift of time…time to talk, play a game, read a book together.
6. Yolo County Children’s Alliance is a certified United Way partner; when you give to United Way, you help support programs like our United Way-funded West Sacramento STAR Readers program that makes reading fun! Learn more about United Way HERE
7. It’s cold outside! Warm your heart by donating your unwanted vehicle to help Yolo County Children’s Alliance. It’s easy! Fill out this FORM, schedule a pick-up and the rest is taken care of.
8. Has your child outgrown toys or clothes? Bring joy to others by giving them to a neighbor, friend, or charity.
9. A cause you can really get behind: Diapers.
10. Give your child your ear…Actively listen while they tell you about their day, a game they played, or a book they read.
11. Books, books, books! Give the gift of knowledge, imagination, suspense; give a book to a child who is struggling to read at grade level. Learn more HERE
12. Volunteer to Wrap Gifts for Kids on 12/16! Call Ruth Pagano-Trn, with the West Sacramento Police Dept, at (916) 617-4959 (or email at email@example.com) to help wrap gifts that make the holidays brighter for Yolo County families.
13. Support your child’s independence by giving them the opportunity to make age-appropriate choices.
14. Yolo Crisis Nursery provides a safe, temporary home for children up to age 5 during times of extreme family crisis, when young family members are most vulnerable to abuse and neglect. Consumable household products and specialty items can drain the crisis nursery’s budget; disposable diapers, new clothing and toys for children up to age 5, and household items such as paper products, cleaning supplies and laundry detergent are always in high demand. Please contact Heather Sleuter at the Yolo Crisis Nursery, 530-758-6680, to arrange drop-off of your gift.
15. Give your child time to play…it helps develop cognitive, physical, social, and literacy skills!
16. Thinking about taxes? We can help with that. Donate!
17. During a family meal, take turns sharing what makes you feel thankful.
18. Prefer to give later? Mark your calendars!
19. Teach young children about feelings by giving them the words to go with their emotions.
20. Need ideas for how to connect with your kid? We give you lots HERE
21. Give yourself some exercise while you bond; put some music on and dance around the house with your child!
22. Got a lot of love to give? Consider fostering a child. Learn more about this very rewarding job HERE
23. Have a heart, be a star, help our kids! Specialty license plates benefit child abuse prevention councils, like YCCA! Learn more HERE
24. Give us the gift of your attention! Follow Yolo County Children’s Alliance on Facebook HERE
25. Give yourself a hand for contributing to your community this holiday season! Happy holidays!