Healthy Families Yolo County/Step by Step
Step by Step is a home visitation program that uses the Healthy Families America model. Serving primary caregivers of children from conception to age 3, the program aims to improve the infant-parent relationship by enhancing skills, promoting healthy child development, and supporting bonding in a safe home environment. The program serves Yolo County’s most vulnerable mothers and provides practical support for accessing basic needs and community resources as well as activities to build parenting skills. Our team consists of experienced bilingual paraprofessional Family Support Specialists, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and two (2) Family Resource Specialists.
The heart of our program is the home visiting services provided by the Family Support Specialists. From pregnancy through the child’s 3rd birthday, the Family Support Specialists meets with and supports the family on a regular basis. The Family Support Specialists develops a relationship with the family and is able to provide education on many topics, including self-care during pregnancy, how to soothe a crying baby, adequate nutrition for a babies and young children, and how to create a safe home environment.
Together the Family Support Specialists and the caregiver work on the following goals, emphasizing the ones that the family deems most important:
- Learning about child development
- Enhancing social, emotional, and cognitive development for the child
- Supporting positive infant-parent relationships
- Setting and reaching parent-defined family goals
- Developing coping skills for stressful situations
- Accessing health services for child and parent
- Supporting parent-child bonding and attachment.
In addition to intensive home visiting services, we also offer referrals to the following programs:
- Mental Health Services and Community Health Clinics
- YCCA’s Family Resource Center
- Community Agencies & Programs:
- Family Hui
- Help Me Grow
- Cal Fresh
- Yolo Crisis Nursery
- Yolo Food Bank
- Health Insurance Enrollment and Assistance
Primary caregivers who enroll must be pregnant, or the child must be 3 months of age or younger at the time of referral. Families must also be Yolo County residents.
If you would like to make a referral to the Step by Step Program, please use the below form and fax directly to (530) 757-7662 or scan to email to Marisol.firstname.lastname@example.org