Parent Support Specialist
- Salary range: $20 per hour
- Location: West Sacramento, Yolo County
- Competitive Benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage
- Reports to: Family Strengthening Program Manager
SUMMARY: The primary responsibility of the Parent Support Specialist is to connect Yolo County families with essential services and resources in order to promote family stability, to attend to and prevent crisis situations and entry or re-entry into the Child Welfare System. The Parent Support Specialist shall serve as the family’s primary contact with the Family Strengthening Program. The Parent Support Specialist is responsible for developing a relationship with the family and working in their home and community to build upon strengths and to enhance self-sufficiency. All duties will be performed within a strength-based, culturally responsive and trauma informed manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct regularly scheduled home visits to assigned families, to provide the Nurturing Parenting Program or other supportive activities to parents and children in their homes.
- Conduct screens and assessments on all assigned families.
- Work with families to empower them to engage in problem solving.
- Model effective parenting behavior, provide support, education/ information, and provide parents with age appropriate parenting and positive discipline techniques.
- Promote parent participation in home activities designed to promote the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of their children.
- Model nurturing attitudes and behaviors in all contacts with program participants and program staff.
- Utilize community resources, in-home teaching, and supportive problem solving to help families meet the goals of their nurturing plans.
- Advocate for and act as a liaison for families with existing community services and agencies, which may include routine translation and interpretation.
- Complete documentation as required by Family Strengthening program and Yolo County Child Welfare Services
- Read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Communicate professionally & effectively.
- Use computer and basic computer software.
- Serve families with diverse economic, social, racial, and cultural backgrounds.
- Establish and maintain personal and programmatic boundaries while providing supportive services.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals who may not share basic commonality, including value systems and behavior norms.
- Maintain a professional, confidential work environment.
- Be a self-starter and independent worker.
- Deal with stressful situations.
- Be reliable and punctual.
- Lift & carry a minimum of 15 lbs.
- Frequently bend, twist, squat, kneel, reach, push, and pull.
EDUCATIONAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor Degree in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology or related field.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- Clearance of fingerprint background check.
- Must possess a valid California Driver’s license, reliable transportation and auto insurance.
- Able to travel between sites and to offsite events.
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required
- Experience in social services in community settings with families
- knowledge about local community resources.
- Strong writing skill.
- Strong organizational skill.
- Knowledge of child abuse issues, substance abuse, family dynamics, and domestic violence.
- Knowledge of child development and behavior
Please submit an email with resume, a completed YCCA job application, a list of current references and a cover letter, as separate attachments to: YCCAjobs@gmail.com. Write “Parent Support Specialist” in the subject line of your email. Your resume, application, references and cover letter must all be received, as attachments, in order to be considered. YCCA job application can be downloaded here: https://www.yolokids.org/career-opportunities