VITA Tax Preparer
- Salary Range: $18/hour
- Hours: Flexible
- Location: West Sacramento
The Yolo County Children’s Alliance was established in 2002 by a resolution of the Yolo County Board of Supervisors as a way of addressing a number of community concerns that impact children and their families such as health insurance, access to health care services, and child abuse and neglect. We are a 501(c)(3) organization and also an inter-agency collaborative, coordinating needed family support services, convening child and family advocates to mobilize community assets and solve community problems and gathering and disseminating local information about the needs and the well-being of Yolo County families.
The Volunteer VITA Tax Preparer must be a quick learner, energetic, friendly, and organized as they will be working with the West Sacramento Family Resource Center’s VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. The volunteer is responsible for greeting clients, screening, and preparing their taxes with oversight from our site coordinator. The Family Resource Center (FRC) serves low-income families and individuals in West Sacramento with resources to support them and improve quality of life.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
VITA Program: 70%
- Volunteers assist clients with completing paperwork and verifying that all documents are present prior to preparation. Success in this position allows clients and preparers to focus on ensuring an accurate return is completed in a timely manner.
- Tax Preparer – Volunteers complete and successfully certify in tax law training, including the use of electronic filing software, to provide free tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers. No prior tax preparation experience is necessary – just a desire to learn. Tax law certification is required for this volunteer role and training is available on-line or through face-to-face instruction.
- As needed, provides direct assistance with particular resources.
- Must complete the Volunteer Standards of Conduct certification and certify to basic/advanced.
Principal Working Relationships:
- Program Manager
- Assistant Manager
- Family Resource Center Staff
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills to multi-lingual and multi-level audiences, for example direct service staff, management staff, customers/clients, community-based organizations and agencies, and local businesses.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively and in a supportive manner within an interdisciplinary team, and culturally diverse populations.
- Exemplary customer service skills. Consistently demonstrates professionalism, poise, tact, and diplomacy in interactions with others including in confidential or sensitive situations.
- Demonstrates good judgment, organization and prioritization skills and time management skills.
- Familiarity with office machines (e.g. fax, printer, etc.)
- Self-motivated and able to work with interruptions.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize assignments
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, climb and lift up to 25 pounds.
- Flexible to organization’s needs
- Quick learner and adheres to confidentiality.
- Must be fingerprinted and drug screened
EDUCATIONAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- A High School diploma or higher.
- Previous experience with low-income populations.
- Strong coordination skills
- Knowledgeable with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination, must by fully vaccinated by date of hire as required by YCCA policy.
Please submit an email with resume, a completed YCCA job application, a list of current references and a cover letter, as separate attachments to: YCCAjobs@gmail.com. Write “VITA Tax Preparer” in the subject line of your email. Your resume, application, references and cover letter must all be received, as attachments, in order to be considered. YCCA job application can be downloaded here: https://www.yolokids.org/career-opportunities