Step by Step/Paso a Paso Home Visiting
Step by Step/Paso a Paso (SxS/PxP) is a home visitation program that uses a modified Healthy Families America model. Serving primary caregivers of children from conception to age 3, the program aims to improve the infant-parent relationship by enhancing skills, promoting healthy child development, and supporting bonding in a safe home environment. The program serves Yolo County’s most vulnerable mothers and provides practical support for accessing basic needs and community resources as well as activities to foster parenting skills. Our team consists of experienced bilingual paraprofessional Family Support Workers, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and a Family Assessment Worker.
The heart of our program is the home visiting services provided by the Family Support Workers. From pregnancy through the child’s 3rd birthday, the Family Support Worker meets with and supports the family on a regular basis. The Family Support Worker develops a relationship with the family and is able to provide pointers on many topics, including self-care during pregnancy, how to soothe a crying baby, adequate nutrition for a babies and young children, and how to create a safe home environment.
Together the Family Support Worker and the caregiver work on the following goals, emphasizing the ones that the family deems most important:
- Learning about child development
- Enhancing social, emotional, and cognitive development for the child
- Supporting positive infant-parent relationships
- Setting and reaching parent-defined family goals
- Developing coping skills for stressful situations
- Accessing health services for child and parent
- Supporting parent-child bonding and attachment.
In addition to intensive home visiting services, we also offer referrals to the following programs:
- Moving Beyond Depression (in-home Cognitive Behavioral Therapy designed specifically for participants of home visitation)
- YCCA’s Family Resource Center
- Community agencies, including other Family Resource Centers, relevant to the specific needs of the family.
Primary caregivers who enroll must be pregnant, or the child must be 3 months of age or younger at the time of referral. Families must also be Yolo County residents.
If you would like to make a referral to the Step by Step/Paso a Paso Program, please use the below form and fax directly to our Family Assessment Worker, Lilian Marquez, at (530) 753-7662.